Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Thursday, May 12, 2016

THE BEST STATUE OF 2016 …ALREADY?!

The best of 2016. Hands down.


I know is a little too early for this with so many awesome figures yet to come, but for me the best statue this year by a far margin is Sideshow Collectibles rendition of Skeletor to the reimagined Masters of The Universe line-up. I can’t imagine how much effort and creativity went into modelling it and design the new meaner and realistic skull not to mention the ultra cool yellow skull head of Sideshow’s Exclusive version (to me the best Exclusive item to date, beating even Deadpool’s dead chicken arm and the graceful Jean Grey head of Dark Phoenix). I can’t decide which head to choose since both are so well modeled and painted. I guess I’ll keep on changing them every week just for the sake of perpetually renewed coolness.



But, beyond the heads, the armor and sword are what really set this figure apart any other this year. Even though Skeletor is a 1/5 scale figure its armor is more detailed than Doctor Doom Legendary Scale one (also from Sideshow) which says a lot, since, Doctor Doom is an extremely intricate detailed and huge sculpture. I really hope the final version can deliver all the little tiny details in every part of the armor, a true labor of love from the artists involved (Nathan Mansfield and Matt Black in the sculpting and Adam Smith and Chadwick Anderson in mold and cast).




Pointy skeleton-like fingers. Awesome staff,



I even love the cape with its weary black layers on the back and purple velvet on the inside. The thin and pointy fingers, thinner yet strong arms, everything was modeled to perfection here. Everything in proportion, no anatomy anomalies, simply put: there are no flaws in this statue. If I were to mention one is that the base is not as detailed as the rest of the piece causing a bit of dissonance in the whole, but nothing that pales this astonishing work. I don’t mind Skeletor have nipples or a belly button. I mind it to be on my collection this November. And that he arrives intact and well finished (because after this...).

Layered weary cape. The thing of a darkness being.


Although not as detailed as the rest, a cool base nonetheless.


To me, Skeletor is the best statue in Sideshow’s history and one that will be hard to beat. I know this is a bold statement to do but I’m pretty convinced of it. And yes I look at Sideshow Archives every now and then. But they only get better at every new launch so much so that the past efforts look like sketches of things nowadays.

The statue in its full glory.
Is that the enemy of She-Ra on the belt?

Such a nice "couple".


I would be glad to hear your thoughts about the Skeletor figure and which figure you would choose as the best of the year so far.

You can read an interview with Skeletor's sculptor Matt Black here, where he speaks about the figure among other things. There's a second part of the interview that is as interesting as the first here. Don't miss the reading is totally worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment