Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Saturday, July 16, 2016

EXCLUSIVE SIDESHOW'S MATT BLACK INTERVIEW (PART I)

After interviewing the father of our hobby, Randy Bowen (see interview here), I decided to look for an artist that is on the forefront of today’s collectible figures wave and chose Matthew J. Black from Sideshow Collectibles, one of the most talented and skilled sculptors today.

First, I must say I’m a big fan of your work and am very proud of having a piece sculpted by you and two more coming and I would like to start this interview specifically for these pre-orders.

Two masterpieces from Matt Black


1- Matt, you worked on the sculpts of He-Man and Skeletor from the Masters of the Universe Sideshow line, which I personally find some of the best statues to come out this year. How was the process of reimagining the characters from the franchise?

MB (Matthew J. Black): I was thrilled to hear first of the announcement that we were going to tackle the subject. Then when I saw the Stjepan Sejic designs, I knew I had to get involved somehow. He really killed it. All through the sculpting process, there was a lot of interaction with the design team. Lots of back and forth, and brainstorming.

In the end, it was a true collaboration.


2 - Is there a general guideline (or guidelines/rules) to this line so to keep the unity of the collection? Can you share it with us?

MB: Generally, we think of it as a language. We try to keep elements of the design to have a similar language, similar story telling.

Motifs, and imagery is kept in a similar vein no matter who the character is. We like to have a layer of detail laminated throughout the composition, that really tells you a little about who this person is.


3 - Is there a special character (or characters) of MotU you would like to sculpt? Which one(s)?

MB: Too many!! I’d love to tackle Trap Jaw, Orko, Hordak, Merman, Stinkor.. etc. there is just a wealth of cool characters that would be so fun to sculpt!!


4 - Can we expect more characters of this series to be launched or Evil-Lyn will be the last one?

MB: I certainly hope so. I’m sure you will see some movement on this soon.


5 - This line uses mixed media (i.e. real cloths, pvc). How mixed media affects the process of sculpting? When the use of mixed media is decided? Who decides it?

MB: I love sculpts that involve cut/sew elements personally. I think it really can bring something to life, in a way and all sculpt piece can lack at times. It’s a process we work closely with out cut and sew team on. There are certain accommodations we make sculpturally to allows this process. Usually this is decided early on in the process.


6 - One of the most creative and complex use of mixed media l saw was Captain America - Allied Charge on Hydra Premium Format Figure. How was sculpting that figure?

MB: Thanks very much. That was one of my last full wax sculpts, and a lot of fun. It was a really cool design, and I wanted to do it, because it was a companion to the Red Skull I sculpted.

Captain America.Complex use of fabrics and polystone.



7 - I assume that nowadays everybody at Sideshow uses 3D software to sculpt figures. I would like to know how was the transition from handmade to computer generated sculpts to you and which was your last fully hand sculpted statue and which was your first 3D (ZBrush, I assume) created statue.

MB: Not all just yet, we have a few amazing sculptors such as Alfred Peredes still using wax. but more and more it is all digital. It just makes things easier. You can ship a sculpt from Argentina in an email plus the speed and dexterity you can achieve is unmatched. Not to mention the level of detail.

 I think the sculpt I was on when I made the leap was the Heath Ledger Joker. I ended up sculpting his hands, feet, and head in wax, and doing the body, guns, base etc. digitally.

The transition for me was very easy. I (was) very intimidated at first, but had been using Photoshop for years. So I was used to a similar interface. It’s really just a matter of relearning the mental part. Sculpting is sculpting. It never really happens with the hands anyway. It takes place in the mind.


8 - Beside the use of 3D software what else changed in the industry since Bowen Designs period?

MB: Well, there is a lot of competition for one. It’s a very exciting time. I LOVE to see what other companies are achieving. Designs are getting better and better every day, and sculptors are rising to meet the challenge. I love seeing that someone in Brazil, now has the opportunity to work with a team in Korea to make an amazing masterpiece. Before digital, and things like Facebook, this just wouldn't happen. These are very exciting times to be a part of this.


Now two prickly questions. I’m sorry about that, but internet community is crying to know.

9 - One of the biggest complaints about Sideshow is quality control of the mass production statues that the community sees as a hit or miss issue (not to mention cheap casting). How - if so – Sideshow is addressing these issues?

MB: Well, this isn’t really a part of the role I play at sideshow. I do know that we have a very good team of people working directly with our partners at the factories to make sure everything is coming out amazing.


10 - The other biggest complaints is the astounding inflating prices of the statues. How would you justify that a figure that would cost, let's say, $400.00 last year is now being priced at $500.00?

MB: Again, not really my area of expertise, but as you can imagine costs everywhere are on the rise.


Now to more lighter questions. I’m sorry about the two last ones but I feel obliged to ask as these issues scratch the image of Sideshow among the fans.

11 - Well, did somebody influenced you? If so, who?

MB: This is a tough one to answer. I never really had a mentor, or really anyone who I looked up to. I started down this path kinda on accident. I was just looking into sculpting some anthropological models, and ended up at Jordu Schell's mask making class. He is an amazing artist, and encouraged me to do more in the area of toys/ statues. I applied at SOTA right after, and Jerry Macaluso graciously allowed me to help mold and cast while I picked people brains about sculpting. Eventually I was allowed to help out on a Scooby Doo fishing rod, and the rest was history.


12 - Is there a character you really want to sculpt but didn’t have the chance until now?

MB: Honestly, I’d love to get back into sculpting some Harry Potter stuff. I love Potter, and miss working in that world.


That and the vampires of Anne Rice. My first love has always been vampire fiction, and I LOVE Anne Rice. Some day I’ll have the time to complete my life size Lestat I have had in the works for a couple years.



Matthew J. Black. The face behind the sculptures we love.
(Note of the editor: since the interview ended being too long I decided to divide it in two parts.)



CLICK HERE TO READ PART II OF THE INTERVIEW.







Skeletor Masters of the Universe Statue


HeMan Masters of the Universe Statue


  TO SEE A LIST OF LINKS TO ALL 

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS FROM CCF

No comments:

Post a Comment