Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

A LESSON IN CREATIVE POSING II (DEDICATED TO PRIME 1 STUDIOS)

In my post “A Lesson on Creative Daring Posing” dedicated exclusively to Prime 1 Studios, I compare a pose of a Japanese figure with the dull, lifeless poses of Prime 1 Batman’s line. Community argued I could not compare an anime with Batman. So now I come back to reaffirm that Prime 1 Studios doesn’t dare in giving their statues movement and distinctive poses. But now I bring to table two Sideshow Batman figures – Arkham Asylum Batman and the recently release “Dawn of Justice” Batman – to prove my point.

Cool. Cool with movement and personality



I cannot argue that casting and finishing of Prime 1 Studios are light years ahead of that of Sideshow (and so are the prices). But that’s not my point. My point is that Prime 1 Studios doesn’t take any risks regarding the poses of theirs characters. They’re all standing tall erected in a surely imposing pose but it gets damn repetitive. The max they change is the arms positions, the rest is always the same, immutable. I don’t know why they don’t invest in more creative posing but it certainly annoys me. Not that I have the money to buy a Prime 1 Studios piece (if I did I’d rather buy two Sideshow statues that invests in creative poses that reinforces the personality of each character). In other words if I had the chance or wanted to buy an Arkham or Dawn of Justice Batmans I would go for Sideshow without a trace of doubt. I wouldn’t like to have my collection looking as a bunch of soldiers in formation. I prefer it varied, with different unique poses for each character.


Incredible production value but dull. Less stellar production value but with life.
Addendum:
Community alleges that Prime 1 “museum” poses are due to 1/3 format of the figures, that figures that big with movement would need a lot more space to display and that bigger boxes would mean bigger shipping costs. They’ve made a good point on that if the statues come in one piece and no assemble is required.

So for the sake of comparison in equal scales (even same characters) let’s take a look at the poses from ¼ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles statues both from Prime 1 and Sideshow:

Same scale and oh, so much difference on the poses. 


 Although a lot more dynamic than the 1/3 scale figures, the poses don’t compare to Sideshows immensely creative take on the turtles. Sideshow poses (and expressions) are much more dynamic and engaging than those of Prime 1 turtles. No surprise the exclusive version of Leonardo from Sideshow sold out in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment