Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Monday, July 18, 2016

EXCLUSIVE SIDESHOW'S MATT BLACK INTERVIEW (PART II)

[Note of the editor: if you missed Part I of the interview you can access it here]


13 - I believe you experienced a lot of creative freedom on The Executioner from Court of the Dead. Is it more fun to have such liberty on your work?

MB (Matt Black): Yes, and no. I was free to explore, but did so within the confines of Tom’s rules. It was freeing to an extent, and fun to shoot ideas over to Tom. The overall look of scratch was largely mine. With Tom steering the ship.  I find it’s most comfortable to be working in companionship with another artist. My own ideas can sometimes feel stale, so it’s nice to have a sounding board.

The other person will challenge the way to think about a problem, and provide solutions you would have overlooked.




14 - What is (are) the favorite(s) statues you did so far?

MB: Jeeeez... that’s tough. I loved working on He-Man. That was a fun challenge. I really loved working on Darth Maul. I just love the character.

I seem to sculpt a lot of Jack Sparrows, he is always one I’m willing to take another crack at.

He's gonna do me? And who am I goin' to do?


15 – Which Sideshow statue you wish you have done?

MB: Anything sculpted by Schu [editor: Matt is talking about artist Steve Schumacher]. That man has the talent of 3 people. Some of the stuff I have seen him do lately is just breathtaking. I can’t wait for it to be seen this year at the Con. some stunning pieces from Schu this year.


16 – Three bands and three movies.

MB: This changes with the winds...

Lately, I have been listening to wht (?) White Stripes a lot. I used to love them years ago, but lost track of them. Recently I have had them on heavy rotation.

The sound track for "only lovers left alive" has been in HEAVY rotation as of late as well. So haunting and meditative.

And you can’t go wrong with Adam Ant.  He will always be heard coming from my speakers.

Movies. well that’s easy. I watch “Interview with the Vampire” just about once a month
then switch to "What We Do in the Shadows" best vampire film ever made!!! Ok, no…

"Only Lovers Left Alive" that’s the best vampire film ever made. I love Jim Jarmusch.


17 - Do you have an unfulfilled dream, not necessarily linked to your job?

MB: Hmm.... I just don't know. I’m a simple man, with simple wants. I just like being alive every day, having a lovely wife, and kids, and getting to do what I do.

I feel extremely fortunate to have what I have. I dream small.

Of course, I’d love to have more time to work on personal art, but that time will come eventually.


18 – To you what’s more fun to do: head sculpt or body sculpt? And which is more laborious?

MB: I love to work on likenesses. I usually save them for last like dessert.  But I also love to sculpt anatomy.  The portrait is always the most work, and can set the entire tone of a piece, which is also why I like to do it last. The sculpt may evolve as it progresses, and you may find yourself with a portrait that no longer fits the attitude of the pose.


19 – Personally there’s a scale of figure you prefer to work or it doesn’t matter?

MB: Scale does not matter, especially working digitally. You can change your mind at any step. Even after you print, you can just print one out bigger.

For my personal work, I like life size best. It’s just more fun!

Life-size goblin head from Harry Potter universe.


20 – Do you still do hand sculpt (even if only for leisure or practice)?

MB: Most of my personal work I do in sculpy, or WED clay. It’s nice to get yer hands dirty sometimes. Just not all the time.


21 – Do you collect statues or do you have any other hobby?

MB: I collect what I work on. Just to archive it in my garage. Sometimes I’ll ask for a piece that one of my friends from work did, that I really like. But usually I don't collect anything. Or if I do, I get sick of it pretty quick and give it to a friend. I see enough of this stuff at work that I don't feel the need to have it in my home. I do have a few select Disney statues displayed that I did, but if I had everything I worked on over the last 10 years out, there would be no room for me!!


22 – What advice would you give for a person who wants to sculpt professionally?

MB: For one, be aggressive, be ambitious, and meet lots of people. Practice every day, and open yourself up to criticism, and LISTEN!! If it’s wrong, throw it out, and start over. Do not fall in love with your creation, just the process used to create it. If you love the sculpt, you are doing it wrong, and will be reluctant to destroy it, in order to improve it. Just relax and enjoy the process of creation, ultimately it’s the only part you get to keep.

In this industry it’s 50% talent, and 50% who you know. So get out there, and get to know people. Shake hands, get business cards. Keep in touch, also learn to sculpt REALLY well!!


23 – Please leave a final word or quote you like to close the interview.


MB: Well, I don’t have much to say to inspire future generations... but if anyone really wants to be doing what I do, it’s entirely possible. All it takes is vigilance. Be curious, and inquisitive. Ask questions, be humble, work for people who will let you learn from them. Take criticism to heart, and learn from it.

-x-x-x-

I would like to thank you, Matthew, for your sincerity and humbleness in doing this exclusive interview to the readers of CCF. I hope all of you enjoyed and learnt as much as I did with Matt about the labor of a sculptor nowadays and the way Sideshow works their projects. It was very insightful, man. Huge thanks and always hoping for your next piece. Speaking of piece, I wish peace to you and yours. :)







TO SEE A LIST OF LINKS TO ALL 

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS FROM CCF

No comments:

Post a Comment