Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Friday, July 22, 2016

HOLY SDCC, BATMAN! - STATUES WRAP UP

I was asked to write an article commenting the SDCC, even though I’m miles away from there. My font of reference was the internet, mainly Facebook groups – a great source of information –. There were so many statues, action figures and whatnot that if I would cover every picture I saw I would be writing here ‘till the next SDCC. So I decided to focus only on statues, specifically the ones that caught more my attention. It’s a highly subjective article so fell free to criticize and comment.

First, if there was a character that defined this edition of the San Diego Comic Con it was Batman. Greatly because Prime 1 Studios brought 4 or 5 versions of the hero to the show and Sideshow brought three more (not to mention other companies). Second he was the one to get the most characters of his universe launched by the big companies.

The show was his (or theirs)


The things I was super excited to see (Prime 1 doing 1/4 scale figures and Sideshow Deadpool PF) were big letdowns for me. But I’ll get into it at the right time. Let’s begin with the Batman avalanche that assaulted Comic Con.

The Dark Knight that caused more hype was exactly Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns statue from Prime 1. As all Batmans from the company, this piece also has 1/3 but for a refresh it isn’t in a museum pose (even though it’s a not so cool pose). Altogether is a pretty cool piece and the sculpt was based – as the base and the bruises suggest – on Batman after the fight with the leader of the Mutants gang from DKR. I like the statue very much apart from one little big detail: his face is so deformed on one side by the bruises that it is difficult to make sense of what his face really looks like. I just hope they launch it with a second unbruised (or less hurt) head that resembles Frank Miller’s rendition of the hero.

Strange pose, strange face, huge hype. This came out of nowhere.


But for me, the greatest Batman of them all was also from Prime 1: Batman Beyond. I became a bit disappointed because it wasn’t bluer as on the preview images. It ended up black and gray which is much less cool than the bluer of the yester version. Nonetheless the level of details of this piece is nothing short of amazing and the size helps a lot in cause an impact. It’s on museum pose, which I don’t like much, but in this case fits the character perfectly making him extremely imposing. I’d never seen this Batman before because I stop reading comics around mid 1990’s and I have a PS3, therefore never played Arkham Knight game, but it’s an extremely creative take on Batman; it looks like a cyborg Batman of sorts. I don’t know, I just wished it stayed bluish.

Oh, if he was bluish like the preview it would be so much cooler...


I’ve changed my mind about the best Batman of the show! I completely forgot the coolest Batman of them all. I don’t know who’s producing this but King Batman is an absolute masterpiece. You see that it’s a labor of love, every single part of it painstakingly detailed and painted and he has this huge spread bat wing severed by battle that is freaking cool. It’s an incredibly impacting figure, violent and vicious, barbarian figure. It’s another Batman version I’ve never seen before. And one I won’t forget. It’s a pity I don’t have money or space to display it as the wing seems to be really big and the price should be as big as the wing.

Visceral


There were yet another curious Batman lurking away from the spotlight that grabbed the attention of some fans. Entitled Batman Red Rain it’s a dark exquisite rendition of Batman that certainly will please fans with a more artistic vision.

Dark gray and orange and very weird. Sure to capture the attention of artsy guys/gals.



Still on the Batman universe, there were several of partners and villains of the cape crusader on the show floor. Sideshow Bane caused much hype among the fans (obfuscating even Prime 1 Deathstroke) while I preferred Killer Croc from Sideshow and Two-Face from Prime 1. Sideshow also brought women companions for Batman, as Black Canary, Catwoman, Huntress and Cheetah. Of all the DC girls I would stay with Black Canary with her pinup pose and sexy expression. A prove that sideshow is really improving in doing women’s faces and expressions. None of the DC girls, to my taste, were match to the Marvel’s female team headed by Dark Phoenix and Captain Marvel.

Just like the comics. Just like the fans love and hype!

Cooler than Bane in my humble opinion. You can hate me now.


DC babies.


Speaking of Marvel I had my greatest disappointment of all time with Sideshow Collectibles when I saw the completed figure of their new PF Deadpool. It was like “take the cool, sleek, preview image we’re been teasing for months on our site and turn into a ridiculous carnival”. And so they did. Made an horrible base, simulating apparently the beginning of an explosion, Deadpool dodging a missile, a bullet in slow-motion coming out of the gun and the katana cutting a grenade in half. With that horrid translucent material all over it. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw what they did to my most eagerly awaited figure of all time. I thought by that preview picture that nothing could possibly go wrong with this statue. I couldn’t be more mistaken. Every part of the figure that was not shown turned out a big mess. I know the Deadpool spirit is to be a bit ridiculous but make a ridiculous statue due to that. C’mon... Well, on the bright side, I don’t have the money to buy it anyway because I bet with all this bells and whistles they put and the hype over the figure it will cost around $600.00. And even if I had 10,000.00 I wouldn’t buy this ridiculous piece of junk Sideshow made of a fantastic Deadpool sculpt. I wish all that trash was removable, one could put if one wanted and if one – me – doesn’t want, throw it all on the garbage. If it was like this, I could think about buying it even if with that overly ugly base. Oh, I put all my frustration out. Feel so relieved now. At least Sideshow was bold enough in turning a thing of beauty in something pathetic just to follow the more humorous facet of the character… clap, clap, clap… Wanna know who designed that. Very curious to know. Oh, and don't get me wrong, I loved the movie! Saw it twice!

Exploding (I guess) floor, cut grenade, missile, slow-motion bullet?
Take all that off and I'll take the figure.

 On the Marvel front, beyond Dead-bleargh-pool the great novelty was the Hulk vs. Wolverine diorama. That came out of nowhere and looked cooler than I thought. It’s not my type of statue but it has it’s presence. Wolverine is top notch, Hulk not so much. As Hulk is the biggest part of the diorama it’s a no go to me. I prefer to save money to buy the Hulk of the Hulks, the old Sideshow Incredible Hulk PF…

Good Wolverine, strange Hulk, the worst possible way. Ok, I'll pass.


Like I said on the girls front, Marvel goes very well. Besides already cited Captain Marvel and Dark Phoenix, Marvel counts with Gamora and Angela (the last being a bit without personality, between her and Black Canary I think I would pick the DC character).

Marvel gals (missing: Dark Phoenix)


Beyond this what really caught my attention on Sideshow booth were the animals (and vegetal) available there. First, the reinvention of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that looks simply stunning, the way the turtles always meant to be.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles should look like this since the beginning! Cowabunga! Spot on.


Second but no less important are Rocket and Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy. They look absolutely fabulous and Groot is really big and awesome. They seem, as Gamora more based on the comics than in the movies and I like that. I like that overall on Sideshow. Generally the create their own vision of the character but always based on the comics. Of course always appears a PF from Avengers or Captain America flicks here and there but the majority is based on comics.

Comics fidelity. Nice. Very Nice indeed.


Another statue that generated much hype was Sideshow Predator from the first movie. I particularly don’t collect statues from movies, but the fans was crazy about it. It’ll be a best seller no matter what price they put on it. (What is bad for the industry and when I say industry I say my wallet.) Cinemaquette (or ECC I never knew the difference) had their own version of the Predator which may cost a small fortune. I’ll put them side by side so you can compare both, remembering nobody know if sideshow exclusive for this Predator is the head without helmet or not (but one can’t imagine any other exclusive item for this piece)

Sideshow or Cinemaquette (ECC). You or your pocket decides.


Oh, the entering of Prime 1 on the 1/4 market was a thing I thought would come to raise the level of this segment of statues but their fourth scale Superman from League 52 is just meh. The skin has Prime 1 special finish is there, the details are not as detailed as their 1/3 counterparts and the glossy finish that suits well the big third scale boys because mixes and balances with lots of opaque parts does not work very well on the Superman. For now, there’s nothing Sideshow or XM should worry about. But I still believe is just for now. Once Prime 1 gets the hang of the thing the 1/4 market will never be the same. By talking about changes in the market, in my interview with Randy Bowen he hinted he would or could make a partnership with one of the companies from the market. May we hear something about it on Comic Con? I can’t hardly wait and hope so. I wish it was with Sideshow because of ancient distribution partnerships that happened between the two companies. But one never knows.

Perfectly uninspired.


I’m not on action figures and I said I wouldn’t comment about it here but must I confess I saw two pictures of the golden Stormtrooper that got me drooling.

Oh, so shiny... so pretty...


Another one that had the same effect was Gremlin’s Gizmo going Rambo. The details of the figure are amazing you can swear the finger are real, not to mention the cute face with those two big lively eyes and the ooze dead gremlin behind him. If the figure comes with it (the dead gremlin) I would seriously consider save money to buy it.

 
Marvelous!

There were the Darth Vader invasion also at SDCC. He was there in all possible sizes, the bigger the Vader the more statue-like the pose. 1:6, Premium Format, Legendary Scale and 1:1 versions were available depending on the size of your pockets. I was astonished that there were 3 Star Wars 1:1 available: the aforementioned Vader, Boba Fett and a Stormtrooper. Looks like Star Wars fans houses tend to me more spacious than that of most other collectors. I didn’t see any Darth Vader with an alternative head without helmet but they weren’t showing the pieces with their respective exclusives, so there’s still hope.

I forgot to mention the 1:1 bust. Sorry, too many Vaders to remember.


Last but not least, there was the release of Court of the Dead jester Malavestros. I knew this was coming because every time a CotD character gets the spotlight is because a statue is coming and with the jester was no different. What I couldn’t preview was the incredible statue it turned out to be. I couldn’t care less for Court of the Dead but this statue entered on my most wanted list. The effect of the magic he is doing is not short of astonishingly whimsical. And the character per se is just fantastically sculpted. Not to mention the base. The color pallet of the figure is different from the dark tones from CotD characters what gives it a fresh feel almost like it was painted with watercolor. It’s the one figure that substituted my disappointment with Deadpool mess. A show stealer, in my opinion. Would love to know who sculpted and who colored it.

Along with King Batman, Malavestros the statue that stole the show.


Iron Studios was the only one to bring Spider-Man to the floor as well as a Civil War flick statue, Falcon (part of an enormous 1/4 diorama they will be launching along this year and the next). It was the first appearance of the Brazilian studio on a SDCC. Hope more to come.



And I didn’t even mention the full return of Sideshow to terror movie characters with nothing less than Jason, Freddy Kruger, Leatherface, and the woman from Helraiser! I didn’t mention because I don’t collect horror figures but fans of the genre got pretty excited by the news. I don’t collect busts too and there were several the only one that grabbed my attention was the Cinemaquette Freddy Kruger, very expressive and extremely similar to the movie character. Many didn’t like the base but it resembled me the place where Kruger was burnt. And there was the corridor in the middle with a silhouette of Kruger at the end. Pretty awesome if you ask me. But I don’t talk about busts.

Sharp.


Well there were of course more figures, dozens more statues to comment but the post would become too extensive for anybody to read. Therefore, I stayed with the ones I thought most significant from what I saw on the net and finish remembering you that it’s a highly subjective article and that you’re free to comment otherwise and share your thoughts about whose figures stole the show. Thanks for reading and if you interested on the people who actually make this pieces of pop culture art I invite you to read a series of interviews I’m doing with key people on the industry:



More interviews to come after SDCC (I hope!).



No comments:

Post a Comment