Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Saturday, August 20, 2016

SIDESHOW “MONSTER” AMILCAR FONG INTERVIEW

Dangerous aliens.


This sculptor seems to come from another world. A very dangerous one indeed. He was responsible for the sculpting of Sideshow’s alien statues on SDCC 2016: the Alien King, the Predator Maquette and Wolf Predator Legendary Scale Bust. Those really put the spotlight on him. And as the community voice rules, we’re here to talk about this otherworldly pieces with the man who worked on them all: Amilcar Aldana Fong.

-x-x-x-

1 – Your pieces causes quite a sensation on SDCC this year. Is it coincidence that you get all the aliens characters or is it a personal choice or people at Sideshow knows you’re good with monsters and pass them up to you?

Amilcar Aldana Fong (AAF): Well, I think the short answer would be they know that I love monsters and because of that, I developed a kind of taste that seems to fit with what they want. So every time they want to create a new piece based on a monster character they count on me.


2 – Among the three pieces which one was the most complicated and which one was more fun to do?

(AAF): Well, I actually designed and sculpted just one of them, the Wolf Predator Bust. But I helped them to design the Alien King and to conceive the pose for the Predator 1 figure. The Alien King was the most fun of the three. We had to play and create and imagine a new alien member of the hive...WHAT CAN BE MORE FUN THAN THAT?!!! The other two characters were already stablished, so it was a matter of making a very good representation.



3 – Do you have a preferred one among the three? And among all your work what are your favorites?

(AAF): The Wolf Predator and the King Alien were some of my favorite projects. I can also say that the work we have done for Sideshow’s original line Court Of The Dead is marvelous.

One of Almicar's favorites.



4 – I assume all of them were created digitally am I right? Or were some of them manually sculpted or partially hand sculpted?

(AAF): The Wolf Predator Bust was entirely made by hand. Also the Predator Maquette. The Alien King was made digitally.

100% hand sculpted.


5 – I saw that in order to create the Alien King, Sideshow had the collaboration of preps artist John Rosengrant (co-owner of Legacy Effects). We all saw his side of the history on Sideshow’s video. I would like to know your take about the partnership.

(AAF): Me and the David Igo (Sideshow art director) and Anthony Mestas (project manager), as well as artists like Simon Lee and Allen Williams, were involve in the creation of this new character. After the design was approved it went to Legacy Effects and also had to pass through the vail of FOX. So it was an amazing opportunity to work with the Legacy team. I mean, they were involved in the creation of the Queen Alien for Aliens. So as an artist, as a kid and as a professional it was a privilege.



6 – We have seen in the last couple of years an astounding inflation on Sideshow’s prices. So much so that many longtime fellow collectors are about to give up the hobby altogether because they can’t handle the prices anymore. What can you say about that? Is there a real reason or just the laws of demand and supply? The collectible market had a boom of popularity and so did the prices?

(AAF): I really cannot say anything about it since I am just an artist. However, whatever price they put on the Wolf Predator Bust, it is worthy. It was such a complex piece, and took so long to be developed, from the making to the production, I mean it have been more than two years to bring that piece onto the stage. So, I don’t know anything about price and market demand, but I can say that it took a lot of effort to get that piece done at such high quality.



7 – Another usual complaint of the community is about the number of defective pieces they receive from Sideshow. Especially painting defects. Do you know if the company is taking measures to avoid it to the max?

(AAF): I can say they do their best to bring best quality with each piece and product. That is all I can say.


8 – Sorry, I needed to ask those last two, as they are centerpieces of the community debate about collectibles; so let’s get back to sculpting: is there a part of the job you like more than the others, like body sculpting or head sculpting or something else?

(AAF): It is ok, I understand. Well, I wouldn’t say parts of a character or a piece. I would say that I do really enjoy any project that put to the test my imagination.

9 – How was to you the migration from traditional hand sculpting to work on computers? Was it hard, did you resist or was all smooth sailing?

(AAF): Computer programs are the present and the future. My nature as an artist is to constantly move among mediums. Pencil, pen, markers, clay, ZBrush, KeyShot, you name it. For me it is just a matter of keeping my mind open to the new tools the technology nowadays offer.




10 – When you do your personal projects, if you do for personal amusement and practice, do you use the computers or go back to the roots and dirt your hands in clay?

(AAF): Today I face my personal work in both realms, the traditional and the digital.

11 – The Maquette Predator can’t come without an unmasked head (even the non-exclusive version) it would be an offense to the fans to be otherwise. So considering this, can you tell us what the exclusive item will be? There’s a lot of curiosity around this matter.

(AFF): I don’t know much about it. Sorry.




12 – What is your all-time favorite character?

(AAF): King Kong and Alien (from Alien).


13 – Which character you would love to sculpt but didn’t have the chance yet?

(AAF): I think I would love to give my personal vision on many characters. Not just sculpt it as it is.


14 – How does it feel working on Sideshow?

(AAF): It is AWESOME! They are very open to hear your opinions about the project you are working on and that is not, as far as I know, very common.


15 – Do you also know painting? Did you have an input in the coloring of Wolf Predator? It’s a figure with a very complex paint-scheme. Lot’s of different weird color texturing. And about the Predator Maquette, were you involved in the painting and the use of mixed media?

(AAF): No, I am not involve in the painting process. I usually think in forms and lines, not color. It is a realm that still alien for me!



16 – When they decided to put several aliens lurking around Alien King did you think “great idea” or “holly cow, now I’m f*ckd”?

(AAF): The idea came from a Simon Lee Shabant (Chavant clay) sketch where he used a tiny alien to stablish the size of his version of the Alien King. And we all say, let’s use it!!!




17 - Since we spoke so much about aliens I would like to know what would you astonish the most: to see an alien or to see a ghost?

(AAF): A ghost of an alien.


18 – Three bands you really enjoy and three movies you love.

(AAF): Bands - Buena Vista Social Club, QUEEN and the music composed by James Horner. Movies - King Kong (1933 version), Alien, The Thing (Carpenter version).


19 – What advices would you give to a person who wants to become a collectibles sculptor?

(AAF): How the general shapes talk about the character personality or behave and its world are the most important aspect. Pay attention to that and the level of detail won’t matter at all.


20 – Leave a phrase, or a quote or a bombastic news to our fellow readers.

(AFF): THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THINGS IN THE WORLD CANNOT BE SEEN OR TOUCHED, THEY ARE FELT WITH THE HEART.



-x-x-x-


Thank you for your time in this planet, sir. I hope you enjoyed your stay. Now serious, congratulations for your superb work. If I had the bucks, I would buy an Alien King but I’m probably one of those who will be saying goodbye to collectibles very soon and cannot afford this awesome piece. Peace!

-x-x-x-


Predator Jungle Hunter Predator Maquette


Alien King Alien Maquette


TO SEE A LIST OF LINKS TO ALL 

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS FROM CCFIGURES



No comments:

Post a Comment