Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Sunday, August 7, 2016

BLANK PAGE OR THANK YOU

I seat here now in front of a blank page to write without a predetermined theme, no special figure to comment, no interview to share, only the urge to write. I like to write it’s one of greatest pleasures I have in life. Writing without knowing where it will take me. Or you. My English is mediocre since I’m not a native speaker nor did any course on the language. My English comes from my passion for games (how to finish a Zelda game without knowing no English at all?) and music. I was fortunate that at the time they had a magazine that translated the lyrics of the music to Portuguese, what turned out to be a great source of learning. As you can tell I’m not American or British, I’m Brazilian and live on Brazil, though I had a brother who lives in US to whom I send all the figures I buy then I ask any relative who goes to visit him to bring one if they can. Generally they cannot because US is buying paradise for Brazilians so they already come full of their own goods having no space whatsoever to bring me my figures. But once in a while somebody brings me one. My brother is a really good guy so, when he comes to visit us he brings as many figures as possible. Unfortunately, though, he brings generally the anime/manga figures I collect but no statues at all, since they would take the place of one of the two luggage he can bring to Brazil. So he has this basement full of figures, my figures (that his wife hates, by the way) and I cannot see them, touch them, appreciate them. It’s a bit frustrating, but it’s the only way to avoid the extortive price and taxes of sending them by mail to Brazil. I would pay probably more than double the price of the statue and I can’t afford that (customs here charge 60% over the price of the product plus the shipping!). Add to this the fact that I don’t have a proper space to display them here. I only have my bedroom but it is not arranged in a way I can exhibit them. I have to do a reform to do so, but reforms takes a lot of money and I’m still saving to do it. Here in Brazil they don’t sell these structures appropriated to display figures you so easily find abroad, so I’ll have to have them manufactured in order to display my collection. I hope within the next five years (at most!) to have everything settled and my room remodeled to display my dear figures.

I’m 39 and am already retired for reasons I don’t think convenient to tell. Therefore, even though I have some weekly appointments I need to go, I have plenty of free time. So for one of those things that comes out of nowhere I decided to start this blog about statues, in English (how pretentious of me) because I love the subject so much that it takes a huge part of my thoughts and time. I confess I’m a bit addicted to it as almost everyone who’s possibly reading this is. I can’t quite remember what came first: the blog or the discovery of the Facebook groups dedicated to our hobby. I know I started to write and share my posts with the community and the community – you – started to read. When I saw that I was having many more hits than I ever imagined I stayed in awe. It was like a wild dream coming true, to write about the thing you love the most and been read. I didn’t know why but you read my posts and it was, as it is, a great joy, maybe the greatest joy I could have. Of course a girlfriend and have all my figures here at display would be – and will be – greatest joys than this but for now, you guys help me to turn my life all that more interesting and exciting. I have a sense of accomplishment I didn’t have since I stop working. A sense of doing something that matters to someone else. It’s a great feeling. And that feeling just got a lot bigger when I began interviewing people from the industry.

It was a week before SDCC 2016 and everybody only talked about it obviously. That’s when I thought “I wish I could go the other way around and interview Randy Bowen, the man who turned all of this possible but is out of the Market for quite a while, someone who built with his own hands – and clay – the path to all the companies that would be on SDCC”.

So I’ve searched Randy on Facebook and found him. Then took a deep breath, opened the private messenger and asked to make an interview with him, what he promptly accepted and we started one of the most pleasurable conversations I had in my whole life. It was very intimidating at first, since he is “the man” behind it all, but it turned out he was a very cool guy and that sentiment of talking to one of my greatest idols slowly faded so that, by the end of the interview, I was dealing with him as I would deal with a friend. It was a very cathartic moment to me and set the stage for the series of interviews I’ve being pursuing ever since.

During this work I was amazed at how accessible and humble the people from the industry are and that dissolute all my anxiety (well almost all of it, it’s always a bit intimidating to interview somebody you admire so much). Of course some are more difficult to reach, some takes a long time to reply, some are still studying the possibility of an interview (I’m talking about you, F4F!) but overall they’re really willing to contribute. I’m having a much harder time trying to interview people from the customs Market; not only because they don’t want to expose themselves but just because they’re not as humble and accessible as people of the big companies. They are oftentimes harsh and others don’t give a damn for me. It’s being a much harder work to amass the interviews to the series I want do about the customs market than it was to interview Erick Sosa, per example. And Erick Sosa is a very busy man, the guy is unstoppable working machine, but always apologize every one of the various delays in giving the interview. How could I imagine that this was going to happen sometime in my life? The great Erick Sosa, a world-renowned artist among collectors asking apologies to me? Who am I? I’m a nobody with Microsoft Word and an internet connection, from Brazil, who decided to write a blog about his hobby in my poor English to the world. Yet Mr. Sosa was very polite with me every single time we talked and, as promised, finally found time to grant me the interview.


Yes, doing this blog, was the best thing I could do in my life, I put all my passion and care to deliver the best for the readers and am very grateful with the response. I guess turns out that I’m writing all of this nonsense to say just one thing: thank you so very much! To you who reads it, to the interviewed, to everyone that one way or another has contributed with, supported, and motivated me to seat in my chair each day trying to deliver the best info I possibly can. To deliver what I wanted to receive if I was in your place. I think it’s upon that this text is all about: gratitude. The gratitude for motivating me to do my best and have lots of fun and pride doing it. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can’t thank you enough for turning my life so much better and interesting and challenging, to give me a sense of direction, of goal, of accomplishment. I don’t know if, with my blog, I make some difference in your life for the better but doing it makes a huge difference for the better in mine. Darn, how it does. And I am forever grateful to all of you for that. And sorry for my broken English! ;)




TO SEE A LIST OF LINKS TO ALL 

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS FROM CCFIGURES

No comments:

Post a Comment