Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Thursday, August 18, 2016

SIDESHOW KILLER CROC OVERVIEW







Overall I did like the statue. I don’t mind much for the crocodile head, I think the humanoid head much more cooler but it’s a nice add since it gives a more monstrous vision to the character but then, instead of living in sewers, it should be found in the swamps of Louisiana.  

You can smile but I still don't like you very much.


My main complaint is that pose gives the statue the impression of suffering of leaning problems since it is too incline to one side if saw from these angles:

Leaning effetct. Maybe it's just the pictures. But it bothers me.



The part I love the most about it is that it really shows it was hand sculpted, there’s a “crude finish” to it that is not achievable by ZBrush and other 3D modeling software. It’s like the Designer told the artist to make it apparent it was hand sculpted, leaving the marks and imperfections of hand sculpting, the asymmetry to pop up so whoever sees it perceives it was done by hand. I like that approach, rough, crude that has all to be with the character. The contorted pose is not easily reachable by 3D CG modelling as well, what I beleive was another designer decision to share the world the figure was hand sculpted.

100% handmade and proud of it.


Au contraire of the Prime 1 counterpart here all the cloths and bandages are real, not sculpted. I believe the Sew and Cut department of Sideshow to be one of the pluses of the company and I love when a statue goes mixed media and have them involved. I liked the color scheme with a wide range of colors from light cream yellow to blackish green accordingly with the thickness of Killer Croc skin.  


Sew & Cut Department involved in a piece. Always great news.

Nice color scheme. Very varied yet completely harmonic.


My concern about mass production is the painting of the eyes. They have a very complex painting scheme I don’t know mass production will be able to grasp. Hope SS QC (Quality Control) team (if there’s one) does its work right or it may ruin the figure since the face, as master Mark Newman says “is the focal point of the statue”. I see the “strip” pupils to be the greatest concern, since both have to be the same average thickness what is not easy to achieve, especially if you have dozens of statues pupils to do. Let’s cross fingers here.

I can't take my eye of you...


I thought the price a bit salty it could go for $499 easily but $20 bucks is not a huge difference. But when I see the five in front of the price it gives me that “overpriced” feeling. Maybe it’s just me, I don’t know.

I wonder if all Sideshow Collectibles statues will have this annoying
translucent effect from now on. What a boring trend. Hope it passes fast
At least here is justifiable. 


Overall, I loved the statue as it is everything Prime 1 won’t: it won’t occupy much space, it is akin to most comic artist's visions of Killer Croc, it has a different creative monstrously contorted pose, it has real cloth and principally it has that personality only hand sculpted figures have. So, if I had money and Malavestros didn’t exist I would buy this piece because I love comics monsters characters.

Did you notice Killer Croc's companion on the pic?


By talking about monsters it’s damn time to Sideshow does a decent Swamp-Thing PF statue. I’ve waiting for one all my life as I don’t like the one I see from time to time on eBay (and I don’t think is a Sideshow one). 

Companion or meal?



TO SEE A LIST OF LINKS TO ALL 

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS FROM CCFIGURES



No comments:

Post a Comment