Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

“CUSTOMS” INTERVIEWS – PART III: PAINTERS

Our customs journey wouldn’t be completed without the third and last part of the process: painting. Custom painting isn’t only done in custom figures, most of the time, I guess, it is done to better the quality painting of great companies pieces. Or they are asked to paint and assemble kits someone bought and don’t have the skills to do the job (my case). And I’m not talking specifically of custom kits but original big brands kits as well. They only do restorations and mods to the figures.

Of all the three pillars of customs world, painting is the one that brings less trouble to who practices it, or so I believe. To discover more about the world of custom painters I’ll interview three very experienced and talented painters with different backgrounds: Raymond Roel, Ian Wilkinson and Ed Bradley.

-x-x-x-

1 – Hello, thanks for talking to our readers about the customs market. The first obvious questions that comes to my mind is: how do you get your paint jobs? How the collector searching for a painting service reaches you? Or the producer, for that matter?

Raymond Roel

Raymond Roel (RR): Hi. Let me start off by saying that painting, customizing, kit bashing & sculpting are my hobbies.  My passion.  The majority of the projects I tackle are for myself.  I don't advertise or have never reached out to anyone looking to get work.  Once in a while I'll post a piece for sale somewhere & once in a while someone will reach out to me asking for something unique.  The easiest way to track me down is via Facebook.
-/-


Ian Wilkinson



















Ian Wilkinson (IW): I get all my work through word of mouth, I don't advertise or try to get paint work in as I find this has a negative reaction, I also would think if the painter or sculptor
had not much work in, then are they too expensive? Or their work is not that good. At the moment I have work booked many months in advance and it’s always like that. A lot of
my paint jobs can be found on the net and various sites, when people see a nice kit painted and a name is attached they get in touch with the painter or sculptor.  
-/-

Ed Bradley

Ed Bradley (EB): The easiest way to find producers, sculptors and painters today is through Facebook or other social media. It’s the easiest, most popular and free way to advertise or network and most can do it through their cell phone. You just have to know where to look.

2 – What kind of services do you offer your clients? I believe there is a number of ways you could aid a collector from repainting a head of a Sideshow statue to assemble and painting a whole kit from scratch. Could you name other services you offer or the market offer?

(RR): I'm an artist.  I'm capable of repainting statues, props, figures, kit building, sculpting, restoration of pieces, design work, canvas work, fine art & prints.

The last pic is a special Darth Vader piece Ray Roel did for a program called "Give Kids The Dark Side"
a charity similar to Make-a-Wish.

-/-
(IW): I can just about turn my hand to any form of painting, custom work, molding, casting all of which add to the work I get in, I get a lot of damaged statues that need re-sculpts and lights re-fitting. Then there is the kits I get sent that need assembly- one main area I often do is full repaints of statues, people see a prototype paint job and then receive that statue and it’s nothing like what they first looked at - I can get it looking whatever they want.

By Ian Wilkinson


-/-
(EB): My services include repairs and repaints to existing statues, building and painting of resin and vinyl models, re-sculpting, custom bases and lighting.


By Eddie Bradley


3 – Do you ever been contacted by a customs producer to paints their sculptures? If so the remuneration worth all the hard work?

(RR): I have. I laughed at the offers.
-/-
(IW): I have done many different statue and kit lines for producers, it’s something I prefer doing as I can work with a more specific client idea of how they want the finished piece to look like, I have done most things from busts, figures, custom parts etc.

By Ian Wilkinson


-/-
(EB): Yes, I have been contacted from time to time about painting an entire run of figures. It’s usually not in my best interest to take on that kind of work, it limits my ability to juggle multiple projects and keep things from getting stale.




4 – It is expensive to hire a professional painter like you to, say, assemble and paint a kit? Could you give us an idea of the value range and which variables makes the prices go higher?

(RR): Expensive is a relative term. There are many factors that go into pricing , let's say building / painting a kit or painting a prototype.  Size & detail are the two biggest factors, deadlines could be an issue, how fast does the client want it?
-/-
(IW): Everyone I know who paints charges in different ways, I charge per full build and paint - this can be as cheap as £80 for a small bust and up to a few hundred for very large pieces, molding and casting adds a lot more cost onto a piece, as does adding acrylic eyes to busts and real hair.
-/-
(EB): Hiring an artist can be expensive if the project is large or has a large number of parts.  Every artist charges differently.  But I would say that pricing usually depends on the scale of the figure and how elaborate the details and base might be.

By Eddie Bradley



5 – How many years of experience do you have? Tell us a bit of your trajectory.

(RR): I have 25 years of experience in painting statues & customizing kits.   I have been an artist since I was a child.  I saw my first figure model kit when I was 19.  It was a Horizon Terminator 2 endoskeleton.  I saw this at a local hobby store, built & painted in a display case.  I was hooked.
-/-
(IW): I’ve been painting for well over 40 years, maybe longer, but the last 20 years have been more intense and the last 8 or 9 years constant, I have an Arts degree so I’ve always had a love for painting.
-/-
(EB): I started building and painting back in 1998. I didn’t start approaching painting seriously until 2010, and started doing custom work for members of online forums.


6 – What’s the most fun part in painting and what’s the more difficult?

(RR): I enjoy painting faces, ironically that tends to be the most challenging part.  Faces bring the pieces to life.

By Ray Roel


-/-
(IW): The most joy I get from painting is viewing the final, finished product. I also love discovering new things mainly by accident and by watching other artists at work.
-/-
(EB): I have fun when I am just working with my headphones on and nobody is around to bother me. Seeing a project come together after so many hours is always satisfying. The difficult part is trying to bring it to life the way the client envisions it. The more visual reference they provide, the easier it becomes.


7 – Can you make a living out of custom painting or do you need a second job to guarantee income?

(RR): I imagine someone does it.  For me it's a hobby, I am Director of Marketing for a health care firm in Tampa, FL.
-/-
(IW): I think you can make a small living from painting, but to me it’s a great hobby - if it would become a full time job it might take the fun out of it…

By Ian Wilkinson


-/-
(EB): You can make a living as a custom painter if you have the talent and the time. It’s definitely not for everyone and it’s probably better to do it part time until you establish yourself enough to keep steady work.

By Eddie Bradley



8 – What is the service you’re more requested to do? Do you enjoy it?

(RR): The jobs vary. I'm very picky about any projects I decide to tackle, so yes I enjoy it!!
-/-
(IW): The service I get most to do is kit building and painting… And yes, I love it.
-/-
(EB): Most of the custom work I am asked to do is Superhero kits.


9 – If a great statues company tried to hire you, would you accept?

(RR): Sure, If the price was right.
-/-
(IW): Yes (as long as it was a subject I like to do).
-/-
(EB): Yes, I am currently working for several statue companies.


10 – What are the tools you use for painting?

(RR): Brushes.  Lots & lots of brushes, old & new.  I work in acrylic paint, sometimes watercolor & gouache. I forgot to mention I paint everything by hand.  No Airbrush!!

By Ray Roel

-/-
(IW): I use several airbrushed, pastels, washes, pigments, brushes in just about everything I paint.

By Ian Wilkinson


-/-
(EB): I use whatever works. I have my favorites but I experiment from time to time. I use ComArt transparent paints, pastels and any brand of waterbased acrylic.  If I had to recommend a specific line of paints, it would definitely be the Garagekits.us line of airbrush ready paints.




11 – Do you think every painter has his/her own style even though different pieces require different styles like, say, an anime character and a Batman?

(RR): For sure every artist has his/her own style. Speaking for myself, I stick to what I'm good at although sometimes I have to adapt (my style) to the requirements of the job.
-/-
(IW): Yes definitely - I can spot quite a few artists work as they tend to stick with the same tones when doing skin etc. After a while, you can tell who painted or even notice traits in sculptors as well.
-/-
(EB): Every painter has a style, an approach and a set of techniques that make them stand alone.

By Eddie Bradley



12 – What do you enjoy the most about painting statues? By the way do draw or do you paint pictures like on a canvas or something?

(RR): I enjoy the distorted reality of it. I like when someone see a picture of something I have done & doesn't believe it's "not real".
-/-
(IW): The thing I love is flesh tones, especially female - there is so much variety you can do, it’s interesting to get them looking all slightly different. I never draw or paint anymore on canvas etc.
 -/-
(EB): The best part for me is the day after I have completed a project. Seeing it finished with new eyes and looking it over to see if there is anything I can improve on before shipping it.   I can draw a bit and I try to sculpt from time to time, but painting models is pretty much my main outlet.


13 – Is the assembling of kits a boring part of the job or do enjoy it as well?
(RR): Not at all, sometimes it's relaxing simply cutting & gluing.
-/-
(IW): I love assembly work, the 1st stage of getting a kit to prep stage is just as enjoyable as the painting of it.

By Ian Wilkinson


-/-
(EB): Assembly is fun for me, especially when you have a challenge like parts that won’t fit properly or when I’m asked to alter a pose or add an accessory.  I’m not a fan of air bubbles though. It’s just a pain and eats away my time.


14 – Did you already have taken a custom statue line to paint what was the ES (Edition Size)? If you did was it a boring work?

(RR): I have not.  I'm a prototype painter not a production painter.
-/-
(IW): I have done small runs of kits for people but nothing large, most kits producers do under 20 runs - painting the same stuff over and over is great as it’s a challenge to get it all looking the same.
-/-
(EB): I did a custom Doctor Doom head w/ removable mask as a replacement for the Sideshow PF statue. The ES on that was around 33.


15 – Are the clients specific about what they want you to do with their statues or they give you creative freedom?

(RR): Most folks give me a general idea of what they want & then they let me do what I do.
-/-
(IW): It depends, I get one client saying just go for it; then I can get a load of input from another client. I prefer to get the client involved...
-/-
(EB): It varies, some clients give me freedom and others are very specific.

By Eddie Bradley



16 – What would astonish you the most: to see an alien or to see a ghost?

(RR): An Alien.
-/-
(IW): An alien… When I was young I used to see many ghosts, I believe in the supernatural more than alien life visiting us.
-/-
(EB): Probably an alien, I don’t believe in ghosts!


17 – Three bands and three movies.

(RR): Bands - Depeche Mode, Foo Fighters, The Beatles; movies - Star Wars,  Fight Club,  The Godfather
-/-
(IW): Bands - The Smiths, SoftCell, Radiohead. Films - Scum, any horror movie, Alien.
-/-
(EB): Bands - Aerosmith, Earth Wind&Fire, 3 Doors Down. Movies - Predator, Robocop, John Carpenter's The Thing.


18 – To finish, what advices would you give to people who wants to paint professionally sculptures or any other medium?

(RR): Practice.
-/-
(IW): Anyone who loves art - painting or sculpting - just keep going – you’ll learn by mistakes and by finding new ways of doing things… Never give up.
-/-
(EB): My advice to anyone wanting to paint professionally... Be patient.  Do work that excites you but also take on projects that you might not be as interested in. You need to be diverse.  Put your ego in a box and focus on meeting deadlines and making clients happy. Most of all: network!! Show your work whenever possible and get to know everyone in the hobby.



Thank you so very much for taking your time and answer these questions. I bet they will elucidate several questions from our fellow readers. With your help we close the cycle of interviews about the Customs Market. I hope you achieve what you dream and wish the best to you and to those you love and care.

OTHER PARTS OF THIS ARTICLE:

PART I - PRODUCERS;

PART II - SCULPTORS;

PART IV - COMMISSIONERS.



TO SEE A LIST OF LINKS TO ALL 

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS FROM CCFIGURES



No comments:

Post a Comment