Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Thursday, August 25, 2016

INTERVIEW WITH PROFESSIONAL PROTOTYPE PAINTER ED BRADLEY.




I’ve been doing interviews with some of the best sculptors in the Market today. For a change, today I’ll interview an artist as important in giving beauty and realism to the figures we love: the painter. This guy I’ll interview certainly been on the road for a long time and know some places. Before we start, take a look at Ed Bradley’s Facebook profile:



The story of collectibles industry in one profile.

  
1 - You surely knows the Market and has a long history in it. Let’s start from the beginning. How did you choose your profession and how was working at Bowen Designs? How did you get there?

Ed Bradley (EB): I chose my profession as a part time thing initially. It was a natural progression and it made sense to me. I was painting for collectors, making money and doing what I enjoyed. Eventually I wanted to try painting for a company.  Randy Bowen was kind enough to give me a shot after I contacted him through Facebook.  I did some fill-in work for about a year. It was a great experience and much different from what I had imagined it would be. I had no idea. Lol.

Randy Bowen made a good choice, as always.


 2 - Why the decision of going self-employed? It has to do with freedom of choice or better income?

(EB): My decision to become self employed was fueled by various things.  I spent 14 years at a steel processing plant and I knew it was a dead-end job after my second year. From 2012 to 2015 I was painting on the side for Bowen Designs and then Kotobukiya. Eventually the paint work picked up and my full time job was holding me back. So I had a decision to make and I made it. It had more to do with doing work that was fulfilling and not so much to do with income.



3 – I saw on your profile that you currently work with several of the greatest studios of the Market. Could you briefly (or extensively, is up to you!) describe the differences and similarities in working with each one? Do you have to adapt your style according with the studio or you just go and do your job all the same? Do you use the same materials and tools with each one of them?

(EB): The similarities are that they all have a target to reach and they answer to the license holder. So all of the design work, sculpting , fabrication, painting and production has to be approved at each step. When the prototype reaches me, I am provided with as much visual reference as possible. Usually a turnaround sheet or list of Pantone color call outs to make sure the product is true to the source material. I rarely get to choose my colors. I use the same materials for every job.



4 – Do you believe you have a recognizable style and so do the other painters? If so, what denounces a piece is painted by you? I realize you like to use slightly darker tones of red, am I wrong?

(EB): Yes, I’m sure my work has a certain look to it, and most painters do have a style. I think what makes my work look like "my work" is probably most noticeable on the superhero stuff. I like keeping my work clean and sharp where the costumes break, and I keep my shading subtle. I also try to stay away from going too bright on colors whenever possible. But it’s not usually up to me.





5 – Do you love what you do? If you could choose another job, what it would be?

(EB): Of course, I love what I do. It just feels right and fits. If I could have another job... I’d work at a hobby shop or something.



6 – Do you also paint things other than statues and figures? Do you draw? Do you paint on canvas, per example?

(EB): I draw with my kids and I can color a damn good Scooby Doo. That's about it.


Thanks, Ed!


7 – I believe the painting job requires immense concentration and precision, one has to have a steady hand. Does this turn the profession stressful or it’s more like a cathartic thing, you just forget the world and for that moment there’s only you the tints and the figure?

(EB): I just zone out and do stuff. Time goes pretty quick and eventually I stop and evaluate my progress, then make tweaks here and there.



8 – What materials a professional painter uses? What kind of paint is more used? When to use an airbrush and when to use a brush?

(EB): Some painters may disagree, but I think the type of paint only matters to a certain extent. I use whatever gets me the results I’m looking for. I use my airbrush mainly for base-coats and shading muscles or the folds of a cape.





9 – In these various jobs you do, do you paint a series of the same figure or do you only makes the “artist proof” (is what they call it isn’t it?)?
(EB): I usually paint 2 identical copies called paint masters. One copy goes to the factory and the other stays with the home office. After the factory has completed a few samples, they send them to the home office to be compared with my original paint master. That way they can address any concerns with quality before the full production run is completed.



10 – Do you live quite distant from some companies. How do you get (and give back) the pieces to paint living so far?

(EB): Yes I live quite far from my clients. We just use UPS or FEDEX to ship the figures.



11 – Do you have to redo the painting if it doesn’t please the person who decides about the figure? Who is this person who decides generally, what’s the name of his/her function? Is it common or everything is previously thoroughly discussed to avoid repaint or this varies from company to company? Do you have some degree of freedom when painting what will be the base for a mass produced figure?

(EB): Yep, the person I receive my direction from is called an art director or paint manager. If something I’m doing doesn't fit or isn't approved, it is their job to let me know what needs changed. Everything is usually discussed before I begin and the amount of direction can vary from company to company.






12 – Do you believe someday in the future 3D color scans and printers will turn painters obsolete?

(EB): I think it is more likely that it could replace certain aspects of production workers in the factory but I don't see it taking over on the paint master.



13 – Could you cite 2 figures / statues from each company you’re most proud of your work (including Bowen Designs).

(EB): Union Jack and X-Factor Cyclops for Bowen Designs, Deadpool and Iron Man for Diamond Select, Rogue and Black Panther for Kotobukiya and Rocket Raccoon and Groot for Sideshow Collectibles.

 
Favorite works for Sideshow Collectibles.



14 - What’s more difficult to paint to a company or to do a custom painting? They are different challenges or it’s the same thing?

(EB): I wouldn't say either is more difficult, it’s just a different approach.  It’s different because a custom job isn't bound by any rules, it’s all up to the collector.

 
I wanted my uniform pink and golden, just like Phoenix!



15 – Do you sculpt even if only for leisure? Because some sculptors paint their private works.

(EB): Absolutely. I sculpt from time to time just to have fun.



16 – Is there someone that was or is a font of inspiration to you? Who?

(EB): Sure, lots of people have inspired me. Comic books, movie monsters and action figures consumed my childhood and never really stopped. So the artists who created all of those things were providing my inspiration and continue to do so.

When the paint really adds to the sculpture.



17 – Can you tell us a hint of some super-secret project you are working on?

(EB): Well… I’m not supposed to talk about these things but I’m currently working on some construction paper with Elmer's glue and macaroni noodles.


18 – Do you use gloves to paint (because I believe the paint must be very difficult to remove from one’s hands)?

(EB): Yes, I wear a glove on my left hand when I’m holding parts. It’s more to protect the work than to keep paint off of my hand.


19 – The price of the figures are quickly inflating with the boom of popularity of collectible figures. Does your salary rises at the same proportion? Why do you think the prices almost doubled in some companies in the last couple of years?

(EB): I won’t pretend to understand how any company gets its numbers.


20 – How do you do to guarantee the quality of the painting once it goes to mass production? Generally, if something is to come wrong in a figure it is the painting. How do you do to minimize this?

(EB): I have no involvement with quality control.



21 – Have you been on SDCC? If not, have you seen the figures that debuted there? Some paint job called your attention among what you saw?

(EB): I have never been to SDCC but I see all of the work that is showcased there.  There's too many to pick just a few out but Jason Wires and his crew kicked some serious ass this year.

 
Ed wasn't there, but his work went to SDCC.

22 – How a professional painter does to get in the industry? Do you have some tips?

(EB): I would say to get in the industry you need to let your work speak for you so your mouth doesn't mess it up. If you've got what it takes and you do your job, then you’ll have work. Know your strengths and weaknesses and be honest about them so you don't end up taking on work that you really aren't ready for.






23 – Are you happy with your life the way it is? Did you find your place in the world so to say?

(EB): I am extremely happy with my life and I have found my place.



24 – Cite three painters and three sculptors you admire from the Market. And cite three painters from History of Art, if any.

(EB): Three painters- Joe Dunnaway, Kat Sapene and Steve Riojas. Three Sculptors- Andy Bergholtz, Mark Newman and Joe Menna.

Painters from History?  In my history it’s Bob Ross, Frank Frazetta and Norman Rockwell.


Thank you for painting this digital canvas with your words, giving it a completely new meaning I believe our readers will love. Hope all the best to you and yours. Once again thank you. It’s always a pleasure to have you here at ccfigures.

(EB): Thank you for taking an interest in what I do. It’s been a pleasure.


TO SEE A LIST OF LINKS TO ALL 

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS FROM CCFIGURES

No comments:

Post a Comment