Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

MY HISTORY OF LOVE AND HATE WITH DARK PHOENIX

When I first saw the preview of Dark Phoenix I stayed in awe. For the first time Sideshow had done a female character that I always dreamt of: not over muscled not exaggeratedly over breasted and with a beautiful and humane face. It was love at first sight. To my disappointment tough, when the pre-orders began and I saw the full sculpture with that awful translucent fire they called “the manifestation of the phoenix” engulfing almost half her leg I got so pissed that I gave up instantaneously of the figure. I was not expecting that thing. I absolutely hate these translucent effects in statues.

At the time I had pre-ordered on Sideshow: He-Man, Skeletor and Ralph McQuarrie’s Boba Fett and was very happy about my orders. The thing is that time and time again I got myself lurking into Dark Phoenix page. She began to transform into a fixed idea, until I gave up once more (now on my prejudice about the PVC fire), cancelled the Boba Fett’s order and pre-ordered her. And now I’m a happier person knowing I’ll have her in my collection. To me the best female character Sideshow ever did. Even better than the two Sonjas, that are two marvelous pieces as well. But she is more delicate, more feminine, she is almost (see next paragraph) perfect even with the fire. I believe I’ll display her more with the Jean Grey Portrait than with the Dark Phoenix one because I just love that head sculpt.

But love is not perfect. If there’s one thing that annoys me about Dark Phoenix is that you clearly realize that the hair is not casted with the head in one piece, they are three different pieces, the two halves of the hair and the rest of the head and they glue all together what gives the weird impression that her face is a mask and the hair is behind it. I hope it is just an impression on a bad angle picture but I hope they fix this in the final version. It is also clear that the hair is split in two pieces. I hope they fit and glue everything very well because I’m paying more than 500 bucks for this figure. It is the price of a very good notebook, a thing that I need. I guess I'm too picky. But Dark Phoenix / Jean Grey is a figure I hate to love or love to hate. Anyway it is I want her badly.

Well, I’m hoping the best from the best and won’t give up my darling figure because of uncertainties. If I overcame the fire I can overcome some minor flaws. I said minor. Otherwise eBay is always “at bay”. ;)


Here are the two pics that bugged me:

Does it look that the hair is coming from behind her face to you?

Why cut the top of the picture just before it shows the forehead hair? Hummm...

No comments:

Post a Comment