Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Sunday, November 13, 2016

WHY I PREFER 1:4 OVER 1:3 STATUES

Prime 1 Studio Batman (Prestige Edition)


I don’t know if they began with it, I believe guys from Pop Culture Shock (and the company that spawned PCS) were the firsts, but Prime 1 Studio definitely popularized 1:3 statues. The quality of the pieces and the level of detail are astounding, the bases are a little too bulky for my taste but are amazingly detailed and compatible with the characters over it. Even so I still prefer my figures 1:4 for a series reasons. First of all 1:3 is a piece so big, few collectors has enough room to collect several of them. I already have trouble finding space for my 1:4 figure let alone the gigantic 1:3 statues. Second, in orders to occupy the less space possible – at least I thing is because of that – the immense majority of them come in museum pose (standing like a soldier) with no movement, no life. The 1:4 figures on the other hand come in the most varied and dynamic poses with arms raised, jumping, even flying or levitating, especially but not only Sideshow Collectible pieces. Take Daredevil Premium Format Figure, per example. He is jumping over a destroyed Justice statue and is fixed on the base by a big pin on the only feet that touches the ground, with his whole body project to the front in a very dynamic pose. I don’t know if this pose is even possible with a 1:3 scale figure due to the weight such a pin would have to sustain. Probably it would cause leaning issues on the piece.

Sideshow Collectibles Daredevil Premium Format


About detail on a figure I can cite one that has equal if not more details than these 1:3 figures and is only a 1:5 scale statue: again Sideshow’s Skeletor, from the reimagined Masters of Universe series. The level of detail of Skeletor’s armor is nothing short of astonishing. So size doesn’t necessarily means more detailed pieces. Besides that the price and the shipping of the big guys are hugely prohibitive. For my pocket that is. Even though Sideshow launched a 1:4 Deadpool statue that costs $700 what it’s a first (and I hope a last) in its line of PF figures.

While 1:3 statues prices revolve around $900, most of the Sideshow’s 1:4 scale pieces today gravitates around $450-$500 which is a huge difference for people with pockets not so deep as is my case. (Hope they keep costs that way, otherwise I’ll have to give up collecting.)

Of course, I wish to have a 1:3 Batman but I think I will content myself with the $399 1:4 scale Batman from Sideshow. Which may not have an elaborate armor as his big brothers counterparts, but has two impressive head sculpts, his clothes are really made of cloth and is as imposing as the 1:3 ones IMHO. Ah, and he fits my collection space. And my pocket.


Sideshow Collectibles Batman Premium Format


No comments:

Post a Comment