Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Friday, November 18, 2016

I THINK THE NEW AVENGERS ASSEMBLE LINE SO “NON-SIDESHOW”

They look like Sideshow pieces to you?

I may be wrong, I probably am but the Iron-Man and the Captain America disclosed from the new Avengers Assemble line don’t seem like Sideshow statues at all. If I would guess, they are Prime 1 doings. I tried to look for some evidence of my theory but found any whatsoever. It’s just mere speculation. But something about them don’t look nothing like any Sideshow’s previous works, they don’t have that Sideshow feeling, if you know what I mean. It may be very well because they are doing things on ZBrush now or they hired new sculptors but there’s something odd non-Sideshow about them that resembles me more Prime 1 Studios efforts with the 1/5 Superman and Green Lantern. It’s not that I dislike the figures (in fact I didn’t like them very much, though I always dreamed about a Sideshow Classic Iron-Man PF) but I think they lack Sideshow’s magic touch. They don’t have the personality Sideshow figures have to me. That’s why I think it’s a new line from Prime 1. I know I just admitted I think Prime 1 figures to lack personality but comparing with Sideshow pieces, I certainly do. Time will tell. Curious to see Hulk and Thor though, they look more promising (even though one can barely see them). Wanted to hear your thoughts about my probable delusion.

[Addendum 11-19-2016]

I was wrong, they are really Sideshow pieces, as clarifies Sideshow's Creative Director David Igo in StatueForum.com:

"We originally wanted to do a 1:5 movie line, collect all the avengers throughout all the films, and keep building a collection.

Problem is, all of their costumes constantly changed from film to film, and film approvals are a bunch of extra hoops you gota jump through… So we decided to stick to the occasional film 1:4 scale PF / Maquette from time to time, when they made sense, and re-think the movie 1:5 line into a comic book line.

So yah, no movie 1:5 line (like we originally planned) and it transitioned to a comic book line.

The first 4 are the big 4, and we have more designed out to hopefully continue the line. If the first 4 all sell as well as we hope they will, there will be more to come. Im stoked because a couple we have planned we havent done before (by us) and some are repeaters for characters we havent done in a long while. So it's a good mix of possibly new territory as well as revisiting some classic characters we havent done in a while.

1:5 scale is also really growing on me as well. I used to be a "EVERYTHING 1:4 SCALE OR FAIL!" guy, but the more you look at how crazy collection space can get, and the rising prices, 1:5 scale is still a nice chunk of a statue, but helps minimize the space as well as the price, allowing for more people to work on collections.

So, who knows, hoping these are received well. Iron Man goes up really soon with Cap not too far behind. Stoked for full reveals on Thorster and Hulkie as well."

So that's the story, Maybe the 1:5 scale give them a different look, I don't know. Hope everything goes well with the line nonetheless. Even though I think Masters of Universe 1:5 line to be miles away in quality, detail and personality as this new line. I wonder why.

3 comments:

  1. It's because they are from a cartoon show, that's the style and the colors you're seeing. Prime 1 is higher quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see... didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
    2. The info about the cartoon show is inaccurate. They are based on the comics versions of the characters, so you can read in the addendum.

      Delete