Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Thursday, June 16, 2016

IF YOU WANT TO AMP UP YOUR COLLECTION…

I recently learnt many things about collectibles. I believed there were no better statues than Sideshow’s and that all statues were solid. However I was mistaken actually. Do not get me wrong here. I still love some of the pieces from Sideshow and won’t cancel my orders of He-Man, Skeletor and Dark Phoenix, I still find them marvelous statues. The reality though is that Sideshow pieces nowadays are made of a thin – and I mean really thin – layer of a cheaper resin than polystone and are not the best in the market. I learnt no figure ¼ and up is solid, all of them are hollow or the shipping costs would be through the roof. But…

If you go to the top league in collecting be prepared: you will have to have very deep pockets. Do you think Sideshow Avengers Hulk cool? Take a look at Cinemaquette’s Hulk. Just the base is a piece in itself with severed Ultron’s minions sculped to the last detail. The hair of Hulk is actual synthetic hair implanted, the statue is casted in high quality translucent resin to give the impression of skin, it has acrylic teeth and the paint job is impeccable. The piece is a real monster with 32 height x 40 width x 36 depth and come in two boxes, one for the base other for the Hulk.  Now we come to the really monstrous thing: the price. One of Cinemaquette’s 500 Hulks will cost you $ 2,980.00 plus more than $200.00 for shipping. The perfect Iron Man, with an almost Hot Toy precision of Stark’s (Robert Downey Jr.) face costs $2,500 and the shipping is almost $250.00. By the price of the shipping you can deduce these are sturdy figures that Sideshow thin layered figures. So are you willing (or are able) to pay $3,000 plus on one statue? I would love too but I can’t. And to tell the truth the statue is not five times better than Sideshow Avengers Hulk... Just three (the hair makes such a huge difference)! ;)














You can low your scale by a half going to XM Studios where you could get (if it wasn’t sold out) a Darkness statue for $1,500. You can find cheaper figures like Iron Man Mark XLII for $800. Still out of my league and the sculpting, to be sincere, is on par with Sideshow (if not subpar). But hey, you’re getting cold cast porcelain figures.And hey, I must admit the recent projects they`re working for look pretty amazing but, hey, they're just projects, need to see the final product. And yep, I just saw Magneto and Daredevil and they`re pretty cool too. (Even though I prefer my SS classic Daredevil, but I'm biased!)






In this range is also Prime 1 Studios. Excellent quality overall, made of polystone, but not so cool franchises. The price tag is more affordable, about $700-$1,200 apiece. Did I have to say that’s out of my league too? Oh, I’ve forgot there’s Prime 1 movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for “just” $575 apiece, the price of a Sideshow Hulk figure.






And there are many more studios I’m unaware of making expensive high quality figures to be sure. So what’s the point of this article?


In one word, to amp up your collection, you must be rich, which I’m not. I value time over money not vice-versa. Sideshows figures are getting better every day in terms of sculpting and painting, what is getting worse is the “cheap is better” manufacturing process and the inflated prices. As I said, I believe Sideshow’s Daedpool PF will be the last statue I’ll ever buy. I was planning buy Blanka from Pop Culture Shock too, but nobody is buying what I’m selling on eBay so I don’t have the money!

-x-x-x-

One last thing, First 4 Figures has evolved the quality of their products quite impressively. The new Dark Souls character got me awestruck. And the price range is the same or even lower than Sideshow. It's a pity they only get game franchises so far. But that's their niche. 

No comments:

Post a Comment