Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Sunday, July 22, 2018

WHEN I THOUGHT I HAVE SEEN IT ALL SIDESHOW GRABS ME AGAIN




I thought SS new Red Sonja to be my last statue, I believed no other female portrait could match hers. I truly believed it was off the mark and no other statue that would come could surpass her. Then SDCC happened and everything changed. Sideshow really stepped up its game toward more realistic portraits and I realize that Sonja was only the tip of the iceberg. I’m really impressed with Sideshow new outings, especially in the female statue side, they never looked so good and I don’t know what to expect more beyond what was offered this year. But if they impressed me this year as Sideshow always does I feel I will be pushed inside collecting once again. Psylocke, the engineering wonder of Rogue, Harley Quinn with her cute (and difficult to achieve) expression, Elektra, the daring expression of X23, Wonder Woman, they all look miles away from Sideshow early takes on these characters. It’s an incredible and undeniable evolution in sculpting. As my budget is strictly limited nowadays I may be able to grab only one of them but I really don’t know which one to choose since all of them are fabulous. The naysayers insist that the new portraits are too masculine and I couldn’t disagree more. They are very feminine distinct and full of personality representations of strong women. As you can see I’m not as fond of the SS male offerings since, apart from Superman PF, Green Arrow PF and Thor PF, the others characters look to much like XM figures. Not as realistic and lacking personality. Plus the “modernization” of their uniforms really didn’t grab my eye. Yes, you can throw the first stone for my critic about XM. I believe they do very good villains and the engineering of their pieces is solid and creative. I particularly never bought a XM figure, but they seem to be very high quality pieces, the painting is outstanding but regarding female portraits, no one beats what Sideshow is producing right now. Some come very close, as XM own Mystique that I think is a more inspiring and sexy figure than Sideshow’s take on the character and Prime 1 Poison Ivy, the second 1/3 statue I’ve ever had the true thrill to own (the other being Batman Beyond Gold Edition). Prime 1 Huntress I believe is a tad better than Sideshow’s but both female Prime 1 statues have so big bases and are so big overall not to mention pricey that I can’t accommodate them in my collection. They are very good pieces overall anyway.

Why so much focus on portraits one may ask. Well, I believe portraits to be the most delicate and difficult parts of a statue and are what give them life and personality, followed by the pose. I like faces, in a word. And there’s no match in the market to the new Sideshow. What I think is contradictory is that the male portraits became worse than they used to be. I would not trade my old SS Daredevil for the new one, because the new one lacks the personality and fidelity to the original character. It seems like an emulation of XM famous take on the character and I think both of them lacks humanity, so to say, that the ladies exhale. Captain America is also a disappointment when compared to the old SS Captain America – Allied Charge on Hydra (the one that isn’t based on the movies).

One trick, so to speak, I realized SS used in almost all female statues and that adds to the realism of the portraits is that they’re rarely looking straight ahead but looking sideways instead. This minor twist gives a lot more personality to the pieces.

Conclusion, I may be selling older statues in order to get back to business, a thing I believe I had given away with the new Red Sonja. Let’s see. The funny thing because contradictory as hell is that the first piece I want to acquire beyond all others is The Little Mermaid, which has nothing of realistic about it but oozes personality and sensuality. Plus, is small in size and price. If I would choose just one of the new females, a though decision, I would choose Harley Quinn since I think her unmasked expression extremely unique and difficult to execute, for me is the female figure of this new batch with more personality of it all. And I’m not a big fan of Harley let alone the Disney cartoon. Lol.


Harley Quinn DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure



The Little Mermaid J Scott Campbell Statue

No comments:

Post a Comment