Fixed Post

LIST OF INTERVIEWS

Friday, December 2, 2016

PRIME 1 ON TOKYO COMIC CON FIRST DAY OVERVIEW

What can I say? Lots of great pieces only a few more or less. Superman is the weakest but we already knew him since SDCC. Nevertheless, let’s go this way. I post a pictures and comment about them. I’ll only post pictures of figures that weren’t at SDCC, I guess. I quite don’t remember it anymore. Ah, all pictures thanks to super Kelvin Loke. (Hope you don’t mind I use them to illustrate my post since I didn’t have the same luck as you to get to know Tokyo and the Comic Con. Good envy bro, hope you have the time of your life there!)

Since I began talk about N52 Superman, let’s begin with his companion Green Lantern. It’s just a fabulous fresh rendition to the character that makes me prefer that one over Sideshow version. Even though this is less serious toned and doesn’t have all the muscular details of Sideshow’s version, the whole concept and the perfect finishing of the piece are awesome. It’s the first time I like the use of this translucent material that became a fever among statues, especially Sideshow ones. Looks like Sideshow pulled some decree that all of their new figures now must have in some place this translucent effect. Glad Prime 1 didn’t follow this trend using it just when it will really add something to the figure as is the case of this Green Lantern and Arkham Scarecrow. In one word, Prime 1 finally showed their creative power on this piece, easily the most creative piece of them so far.



Darkside must be the N52 version because his uniform is completely different from what I grow use to. Nothing against it though, just a different take on the villain. Although I believe this version is more detailed than Sideshow, I still prefer SS version with his imposing pose that has a lot more to do with the character than Prime 1 effort. It’s an excellent figure nevertheless. And proves Prime 1 is going all comics with the N52 line whereas Sideshow prefers a more sober tone. The collector will decide which fits him/her best. Once again production is flawless in this piece too with all the cracks and wrinkles of Darkside perfectly translated.




Now a new series I didn’t know Prime 1 would tackle into: Spider-Man 2099. To me the show stealer line of Prime 1 in Tokyo CC. Spiderman 2099 is fabulous and gorgeously detailed. The pose is spot on and the wow factor is high on this one. Very impressive piece indeed. I personally prefer these series entries than the N52 (apart from Green Lantern that is on par with this one). I love to see Prime 1 expanding its 1:4 line up every way the licensors allows it. Fantastic entrance this one. Just love it.



Even more impressive in 2099 series is the Anti Venom. Just an impressive pose that shows how powerful and menacing the character is. His deformed arm is a sight to behold and the level of detail of this figure is simply astounding. For me one of the three best pieces Prime 1 brought to Tokyo. I’ll mention the other two as they appear.




Still on the realm of 1:4 figures we have the three ladies of Witcher 3. I confess that this line doesn’t appeal much to me because I didn’t and can’t play the game because I didn’t migrate to PS4 and don’t know if I will having more than 200 games still to play on my PS3 and they generally take a lot of time to finish. But having said that, I believe this series has the best bases Prime 1 ever produced. Every one has a different monster defeated at the hero’s/heroin’s feet. It’s just amazing the amount of detail put in each base and in each figure. Witcher 3 put to the table some of the most detailed 1:4 I’ve ever seen. But I have to say that the girls a rather expressionless, especially Ciri. Yeniffer is passable and Triss is the only one with a truly heroic face. Is impressive that even the skin marks are translated to the face of characters nonetheless. Once more (and will be this way until the end) the production qualities of the characters – and their bases – is undeniable and every piece only solidifies Prime 1 as the the one who brings the best quality products to the market today. Being it 1:4 or 1:3 (not counting truly high end figures from ECC Cinemaquette and alike).




I just happen to like this frog a lot. ;)


Another new 1:4 franchise that Prime 1 show on Tokyo was G.I. Joe. Starting with the two ninja enemies since childhood: Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes. Both statues are pretty cool and are in very heroic dynamic poses which add points when talking about Prime 1. The poses alone are an achievement but the statues are very well modeled (I just didn’t like completely the wolf) and complete each other as the bases suggest they are near one of the other because there’s the same kind of rock and broken trees on both statues. Again, finishing is top notch and I believe these ones will be a huge success among fans of all ages. Prime 1 has in hands one more undeniable hit.



Finishing the 1:4 part of this article, we have the two pieces from Imaginarium Art that Prime 1 brought to the show: Green Goblin and Pepper Pot Recue Armor. None of them left nothing to be desired when compared to Prime 1 pieces. Even if I think Sideshow Green Goblin one of the best Marvel villains made by Sideshow in a long time, the Imaginarium Art effort doesn’t fall short in comparison. The difference being that Sideshow took more freedom on the elaboration of Green Goblin costume while IA stayed with the classic version. Apart it, both statues have the same quality overall.




Pepper Pot Rescue Armor is where Imaginarium Art is at home and is expert: Iron Man related products. With high production values, IA brings to the show a perfect version of Rescue Armor with tremendously shiny finishing that other companies can’t match. I don’t know what’s their trick is but they push seriously cool Iron Man statues and busts and to bring one of them to the show was a no-brainer. It’s a pity that was one of the least interesting characters in Iron Man pantheon but the figure is perfect to what it is with a very cool gravity defying combative pose.




Moving to where Prime 1 is really at home we arrive at the 1:3 statues and begin with the one franchise that started it all to the company: Transformers. All pieces presented are incredible detailed (as you can see from them pictures), I just didn’t get Optimus Primal figure. I’m not into Transformers since I was a little kid (even though I’ve saw all the movies) so I don’t know where this “primal” version comes from. Maybe I am speaking a heresy here to Transformers fans, but I found it the less impressive of the big robots on display. All the others, including classic Megatron, looked pretty impressive to me but one in especial make my jaw drop as have made many jaws drop on the show floor: Shockwave. I believe it’s one of the most intricate and detailed statue I have ever seen. For me it was the big show stealer from Prime 1. It’s just so incredible that I lack the words to describe it. It’s beyond awesome and certainly will cost a small fortune that those with pockets a lot deeper than mine won’t think twice in sinking their teeth in. I would if I could, at least.






Next, the other show stealer for me was one of the two revealed members of the Arkham line: the Scarecrow. I remember that the parts from the game Arkham Asylum that I loved the most was the psychedelic encounters I had with Scarecrow and the designers of the game really nailed his visual. The result as a statue could not be different, especially coming from Prime 1: and extremely detailed and freaky, sinister character that make me feel depressed for not have the money nor the space to display it. I just love it. It’s IMHO the best 1:3 character Prime 1 did so far. It’s dark and scary just like the game counterpart.




The Killer Croc, on the other hand, apart from all the detail and superb finishing, does not impressed me at all. I know Prime 1 can’t escape from the game design of the character what is a real creative prison but I found Sideshow Killer Croc PF much more expressive and cool than this one. For me is a gargantuan size meh statue with no personality whatsoever. Of course, I won’t deny the quality in every single detail, from the texture of the pants to shiny glossy multicolored painted nails, to the little warts in his abdomen, to the scales, everything is perfect… and lifeless. In comparison, Sideshow Killer Croc looks almost simplistic but the rough organic lines of a handmade sculpture makes all the difference and in this one this differential is even more sensible because there’s an intentional roughness on the SS sculpting style that oozes personality and ferocity, two things that lacks in Prime 1 effort. But I cannot blame the company since the source material constraint their possibilities. I believe I’ll be a lonely voice preferring Sideshow Killer Croc over the gigantic Prime 1 version but it’s my blog and I have the right to share my opinion.




They’re not one 1:3 scale, I believe, because if they were one would need a real garage to display them in, but the Batmobiles are perfect reproductions of the killer designs both from the game as from the Dawn of Justice movie. They’re as cool as should be expensive, again unfriendly to my pockets but a sure buy to the more financially fortunate Batman collectors out there. Black to the heart and with all the details from their sources the cars certainly cause an impression to the viewer. The difficulty here is to know which to choose since both are pretty darn stylish.



 Prime 1 launched a new 1:3 franchise in Tokyo Comic Con: the Suicide Squad characters. Two were on display: Deadspot and Harley Quinn. Deadspot sure resembles Will Smith and the costume with his gazillion of weapons is faithfully reproduced to the shoelace. It’s pretty impressive the level of detail one can put on a 1:3 figures and Deadshot is a proof of that. I like the statue even though I really don’t give a dime for the movie and its characters. Again a merely matter of taste. Fans will (Smith?) surely love and jump onto the figure.





The other character from Suicide Squad that will most surely arise even more the desire (and the libido) of the collectors is Harley Quinn. Even though Prime 1 don’t have the wizardly of Hot Toys in make high fidelity actors faces in their products, I cannot deny they try it and almost nailed. Almost. Apparently she will come with several head displays for one to choose and some, like the one with the bubble gum, can do the trick. Regardless the resemblance or not with the actress, they managed to make her a pretty face that sure will please the Harley’s admirers out there and if I would bet I would say that her statue will be a big hit among collectors. I will content myself with my Yamato Black & White version of the character that I think is the prettiest Harley Quinn ever made and the one that I can afford to have. She matches perfectly with some B&W DC Collectible Batmans I have and with the Hot Toys also almost all B&W Jack Nicholson Joker I also have. Well this has nothing to do with Prime 1 on Tokyo CC, so lets leave the divagation apart and go to the last two figures I’ll cover.





Prime 1 was much more successful reproducing Wonder Woman from Dawn of Justice then Harley Quinn. The portrait of the WW actress is very accurate and The 1:2 piece is just magnificent certainly closing the 1:2 collection of the movie in great style. And by great I mean also the size. I would like to see pictures from a collection that have all the 1:2 statues compared to 1:4 statues just for sake of comparison and to really have an idea of how big these things are. I cannot imagine by myself. I know they’re huge but I have no idea of how big they are. There was also a Heath Ledger Joker there but I couldn’t find a good picture of it.



Finally, the most enigmatic and weird of the characters displayed on Tokyo CC: the 1:2 statue of a character from the upcoming game from Hideo Kojima, Death Stranding. If there was a 1:2 figure I could have this would be it. It looks like an astronaut of sorts and the design of the outfit is as strange as interesting. It certainly causes a strong impression, even more being a 1:2 statue. It’s a bold step from Prime 1 to bet so high on a game that’s not even out yet what, to me, makes this an even more desirable piece. Of course I’ll never have it. I’d rather buy the OG Hulk with that money than this strange astronaut but it certainly caught my attention amongst the huge assortment of new figures Prime 1 was able to amass to the delight of their fans. I bet there’s something more lurking in the backstage to come out in the next days of the show since I didn’t see no Venom, nor the N52 Flash on Kelvin Loke amazing coverage of the convention. I’m sure he wouldn’t miss these figures.



Well, folks, that’s it. My overview of what I could see from Prime 1 presence in TCC. It became such a big article I doubt someone will read it till the end. Or read at all. All I know is that I’m confident that I did my part. I did the best I could do. Hope someone happens to read and enjoy it.

-x-x-x-x-

As I couldn’t lose the opportunity to ask all Prime 1 fans out there to sign the petition I’m carrying. I think it is a fair plead. If you think too, please sign and asking more than I should share it among your Facebook friends so we can make a difference. The idea goes like that:

To those interested in a good fight, or a fight for good, below is the link for the petition asking Sideshow to begin their payment plans as soon as the figures are out for pre-order, giving us more months to pay with smaller monthly fees. If you like this idea, just click the link below and sign the petition. It will take just a minute and can make a lot of difference to all of us average-pocket collectors.

Sideshow payment plans starting along with the pre-orders means more months to pay, meaning cheaper monthly fees, meaning more easier payments. If you want this to happen, sign the petition. It only takes a minute but can bring long term facilities to all of us Sideshow (and Prime 1 and Hot Toy and etc.) collectors.




-x-x-x-x-






No comments:

Post a Comment